Descant Lute, 7 Course Walnut
7-course Descant Lute is a beautiful short necked sized lute. Descant, refers to its size; placing this lute just above the alto lutes. It usually carries 13 strings in 7 courses with a scale length of 19.75" (500mm).
The European lute is featured in instrumental music from the early Renaissance to the late Baroque periods. Its early origins are vague, but its real heritage comes from the Egyptian Oud. There is evidence of the lute in Europe as early as the 12th century, but it really became popular in the 15th century, falling out of use around 1800. The lute enjoyed a revival with the early music movement of the twentieth century and has grown in popularity.
• The body has a classic bowl back fashioned from Walnut staves
• Neck is made of Walnut
• Fingerboard is made of Ebony
• 8 tied gut frets, 4 wooden frets
• Its peg box is aesthetically decorated, Made of walnut with cocuswood pegs
• Solid Sitka spruce soundboard with pearwood bridge and end pin with walnut
• Suggested tuning is: A4, E4, E4, B3, B3, G3, G3, D4, D3, A3, A2, G3, G2
• This lute has a scale length of 500mm
• It also includes padded gig bag and extra string set